26 de mayo de 2019
ÚLTIMAS NOTICIAS:
Hispanic World

Dominican Republic reports 5.9 pct. rise in tourism

Santo Domingo, Aug 10 (efe-epa).- The Dominican Republic received 4.1 million visitors in the first six months of this year, an increase of 5.9 percent from the same period in 2017, the central bank said Friday.

 A view of Santo Domingo, capital of the Dominican Republic, on Friday, Aug. 10. EFE-EPA/Orlando Barria

A view of Santo Domingo, capital of the Dominican Republic, on Friday, Aug. 10. EFE-EPA/Orlando Barria

Santo Domingo, Aug 10 (efe-epa).- The Dominican Republic received 4.1 million visitors in the first six months of this year, an increase of 5.9 percent from the same period in 2017, the central bank said Friday.

Foreign nationals accounted for 87 percent of the visitors, while the remaining 13 percent were Dominicans who reside abroad.

The data show that 61.2 percent of tourist arrivals were from from North America, 22.1 percent from Europe, 12.4 percent from South America and 4 percent from Central America and the Caribbean.

The number of North American visitors grew by 7.8 percent, according to the central bank, which also cited an 11.7 percent increase in tourism from South America.

But arrivals from Central America and the Caribbean dropped 14.9 percent, while the number of European visitors slipped 2.8 percent.

Nearly 70 percent of tourists entered the Dominican Republic through the international airport in Punta Cana, the heart of the country's beachfront resort area.

Histórico de noticias
Puerto Rican baseball pioneer says female athletes can compete against men

Jorge J. Muñiz Ortiz

Mexico Muslims recreate the Islamic world during Ramadan

By Manuel Soberanes Cobo

Afro-Brazilian movement aims to combat racism in country's business world

Nayara Batschke

Neymar joins Brazilian national soccer team ahead of Copa America

Teresopolis, Brazil, May 25 (efe-epa).- Neymar, the captain of Brazil's national soccer team, joined his teammates on Saturday to start preparations for the...

California calls on goats to prevent wildfires

By Marc Arcas

Waiting in long lines to buy food is Cuba's current crisis and biggest joke

By Atahualpa Amerise

Mexico's plans for embattled energy sector spark criticism

Eduard Ribas i Admetlla

High-rise shacks becoming common sight in housing-challenged Brazilian city

Laura Lopez

Trump pledges another $16 bn for farmers hurt by Chinese tariffs

Washington, May 23 (efe-epa).- President Donald Trump on Thursday approved a second aid package for US farmers, this one for $16 billion, with the aim of...

Experts stress using digital tools to make Colombian companies more dynamic

Cali, Colombia, May 23 (efe-epa).- Increasing human beings' use of digital tools is the vehicle whereby Colombia's business sector will develop, several...

US charges Julian Assange with espionage

Washington, May 23 (efe-epa).- The US Department of Justice announced Thursday a new indictment of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange that includes an...

Pelosi stays firm vs. Trump on cover-up claim

By Alex Segura Lozano

Tornadoes kill at least 3 in Missouri

Washington, May 23 (efe-epa).- At least three people were killed by tornadoes in the Midwestern US state of Missouri, Gov. Mike Parson said Thursday.

What will happen to Cuba's anti-imperialist grandstand at US Embassy?

By Lorena Canto

Argentine cooperative provides new lease on life for former inmates

Cristina Terceiro

Costa Rican president rejects military option in Venezuela, Nicaragua

Douglas Marin

Massive seaweed influx in Cancun's hotel zone

Cancun, Mexico, May 22 (efe-epa).- The hotel zone along the beaches in the Mexican resort city of Cancun on Wednesday experienced a massive influx of...

Journalism in digital age must rethink how to reach its audience

By Gina Baldivieso

US jury sentences Spaniard to life in prison for triple-murder

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, May 22 (efe-epa).- Spaniard Pablo Ibar, convicted in January after a third trial for his part in a 1994 triple-murder, was...

With electricity, gasoline, Caracas is oasis of sorts amid Venezuelan crisis

By Hector Pereira

Judge upholds congressional subpoenas for Trump's financial info

New York, May 22 (efe-epa).- A federal judge ruled here Wednesday that two financial institutions can turn over information sought by US lawmakers regarding...

US senator seeks answers after 5th migrant youth dies in custody

Washington, May 22 (efe-epa).- Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren sent a letter Wednesday to the acting head of US Customs and Border Protection (CBP)...

Craft-making on the decline in southern Mexico due to lack of pupils

By Mitzi Mayauel Fuentes Gomez

Bucking US sanctions, American Airlines expands flights to Cuba

Havana, May 22 (efe-epa).- American Airlines, the leading international carrier serving Cuba, said Wednesday that it intends to offer additional flights to...